The K Word

A regular rant about my life expectations and other such catastrophes

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Affirmation Affirmation Affirmation

In response to my last post I have decided my mantra is repeating the word "Affirmation". I find it such an interesting word because the sound of the word kind of confirms it's definition. The only downside is it reminds me of Savage Garden.

Since my last post I went on an 8 day jaunt to Asia (with the parents - being the good daughter I am).

Our first stop was in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. We arrived at about 9pm and it was very sticky and hot compared to the cold Sydney winter. My first impression was that it was a relatively modern place with very clean and awesome roads. The thing that really annoyed me though was their sense of "service" was just a bit excessive. Being constantly followed in stores and every taxi ride being a sales pitch from the driver without an opportunity to escape was not what I consider "good service".

Aside from that we did the obligatory trip to the Petronas Towers (didn't line up at 7am to get up to the skywalk though), went up the KL Tower and did loads of shopping. I managed to come back with about half a dozen pairs of shoes...I'm not normally a shopper but I couldn't help myself! It must have been something in the water.
We also went to the Batu Caves and climbed the 272 steps to the top. It was very cool.

The best food we had in Malaysia was off a tiny road cart - "Nasi Lemek Ayam" was awesome. It was so cheap too...something like 1.50 Ringgit

Then we went to Bandar Seri Begawan in Brunei. We arrived around lunchtime and it was also quite a hot and sticky place. We saw loads of Mosques, the Sultan's Palace and did an amazing tour of the water village (Kampong Ayer) where most of the locals lived. We even got to see how awesome the interior of these 'shacks' on stilts looked.
For a country that is supposedly very 'rich', it is not reflected in the traditional way. The people are extremely happy though - they have nothing to worry about, the government pay for all medical and education expenses; they have no taxes; and the sultan pays for repairs to any of their houses that are in disrepair.

Our last stop was Singapore - predominately for the purposes of Chilli Crab. It was a successful mission because 3 out of the 4 meals that I had in Singapore were of Chilli Crab. YUM!

This weekend I went to a 40th birthday for an ex-Project Manager at a pub in Kellyville. It was a fun night...but damn how far away is Kellyville! Also took my aunt around Sydney including having a look at the massive U.S.S Kittyhawk. Sydney is beautiful!

Also, I managed to secure another house sitting gig for 4 weeks from the 26July! hooray for me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home